Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Just The Beginning

After almost a year of hard work and dedication, I am nearing the beginning of a great adventure. In April of 2013, I decided I wanted to served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I thought it would be easy. I would put school on hold, fill out the application, and be on my way. Ha. If only it were that simple. 
It started off with the school I was attending demanding money. Lots and lots of money. So I set up a payment plan and promised myself I would have everything done by August. No big deal, I just had to work hard and be smart with my money. At the same time I knew I needed to work on being healthy and prepared to do my first 5K with my Mom and sisters. 
Working towards our 5K was such a huge blessing for me. Patience is not exactly something I am fond of, and I will forever be grateful to my amazing sister Celia for giving me a goal to work towards. We completed our 5K in June of 2013 and it was so much fun. There were so many benefits from that experience. I spent time with the lovely females of my family, got some good exercise, and accomplished something I had never even considered being a part of before. 
In July the time came for me to complete medical and dental evaluations. I was pretty stressed about finding the money to pay for those but of course, everything worked out. The dental was covered by an amazing dentist friend of my fathers who was more than willing to help. He was happy to inform me that I passed with flying colors. (Shout out to my awesome sister Summer who drove me that day because I was too chicken to go alone!) The day of the medical exam I was pretty worried about passing. I just had this terrible feeling. I had no clue how much that was going to cost, and unfortunately did not have enough money to pay. I called my Dad crying, because that's what I do, and of course my wonderful father jumped at the opportunity to help me. Once again I passed the exam with flying colors. 
August came around finally and with school bills paid I arranged to meet with the Bishop to submit my papers. I was so excited that day. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and I was SO sure everything was fine. I sat outside that office with this huge grin on my face and had no concerns when he finally called me in. When I left that office that day I was devastated. I had been rejected because of my weight. Honestly, I was angry. There had never been any mention of a weight requirement before and I just wished that some one had told me sooner. 
Luckily, my parents did not raise me to be a quitter. After a pity party that lasted about a week, I refreshed my sense of determination and hit the gym. The next few months were difficult. My emotions were all over the place. I felt pretty disgusted with myself. Being too fat to serve a mission was embarrassing. I never quit. I never gave up. I felt terrible about myself, but I had my fantastic family constantly on my case reminding me that I was worth it. 
I know better now than ever for that there is a reason for everything. I have gained such a huge respect for my parents and siblings over the past year that I would have missed out on had I not endured so many struggles. Each of them made a point to tell me how proud of me they were and that kept me going. I am so grateful for their support. I would not be who I am today without them. I love my family!!!
In December, I had lost a total of 40 pounds and could finally submit my papers. I completed the final interviews and began the waiting process. YAY! About a week after I submitted my papers, I checked to see the progress and was told they had not yet been submitted. I remember being so frustrated about that. After all this work I had done and my papers were just sitting there. I called my sister and told her that I just wanted SOMETHING to work out right. She reminded me oh so wisely that everything HAD worked out just not in my own time. I needed to be patient. She was so right. 

January 15th, I opened my mission call. I have been called to served in the Honduras Comayaguela Mission, reporting March 19th. I am so excited! This whole journey has been so worth it. Every trial has been a lesson to help me grow into such a better, happier individual. This new adventure is going to be so amazing! I know that I have been tested and tried as preparation for my journey ahead, and I am SO ready!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! This service to the Lord will change your life and help you to grow in ways you never imagined. You will be in our prayers daily as you embark on this journey. You will be such a blessing and an answer to the prayers of all of those people waiting for you to take them the gospel. Never EVER give up! With the Lord on your side and the spirit in your heart you will do amazing things.
    I love you
    Doug

    ReplyDelete