Wednesday, February 19, 2014

28 Days!

This is slightly embarrassing. Last night as I sat in the high school parking lot waiting to pick up my brother from practice, I was suddenly overcome with sadness. Tears began running down my face as thoughts of how much I would miss my family went through my head. I won't be picking my brother up from school much longer. Seriously, my younger brothers and I have this weirdly awesome relationship that I am going to miss so much. 
After we went home, I sat in my room and contemplated this huge life choice I am making. I am leaving behind everything I know and love for 18 months. My only source of communication is an email once a week and snail mail. I am okay with that though. I worked so hard for this opportunity to sacrifice a tiny portion of my life to something I truly believe in.
I know that this experience is going to be difficult and trying. However, it is so worth it. The person I will be when I return home will be so much more. I won't be the same ole Cherish. I will be the Spanish speaking Cherish, that left everything behind to spend a whopping 18 months of her life with the people of Honduras. I will be stronger both mentally and physically. I mean really, no cars, no bikes. Just my trusty legs, getting me through the hills and mountains in Honduras. I might even get a tan. 
My point here is that with each decision we make, there is always something more to look forward to. I know there is so much I am leaving behind. Change is scary, it's uncomfortable, and it is difficult. Each decision I have made, each change I have made, has been a trial. The end result though, has always been incredible. My desire to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has stemmed from my want to help others find happiness. I am going to do that. Fortunately, I have the benefit of increasing my own happiness through my efforts. 
I can't wait to leave for my mission! Only 28 days until I report to the Mexico MTC. Time is definitely flying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment